This is a project based on a university/private/state partnership, spanish open source, active from 2005 to 2009, which goal is to make an automatic translation tool from spanish to its derivatives (Catalan, Occitan, etc.) and to Portuguese or English. It is evolutive so it can support any language. Here is the site of the project :
The idea is to use pairs of words or expressions and to implement an ensemble of syntactic reformating rules to translate. Since 2009, it seems like they’ve only added language pairs.
- Licence "creative commons" : CC BY SA.
- Difficulty to establish reformating rules.
- Impossibility to offer several translations in case of doubt.
- No flexibility or interactivity for the translation of expressions.
- Associations of words (in pair) have to be remade for each language pair.
- The tool has to be assembled with the different files that describe the relations in a pair of languages.
This open project is quite interesting, as it is related to our own project. We will either integrate it or take inspiration from it in our future developments. Our project could supply, for example, the initial data needed to make word pairs between two languages. The ones who would like to create new pairs of languages will benefit from complete primary ressources thanks to our work, contrary to the limited lists currently available.