The Center of Inter-Languages Research on the Signification in COntext (CRISCO) is a laboratory that works with the Institute of French Linguistics (ILF, CNRS FR 2393) and was created in 2000 in the University of Caen. The linguistic ressources and the tools developped by the CRISCO are available online and to everyone on this link :
- They take into consideration the variation and changes (as well as the typology) of languages through the study of German, Spanish, Russian, Finnish and Chinese, to name a few.
- Tools of automatic processing developped by the CRISCO : the speech synthesis software named Kali for French and English, and the Electronic Dictionary of Synonyms (DES).
- The section "typology of languages" is very interesting. Its database is organized according to the following information : languages names and codes (code SIL and code ISO), countries names and codes, languages families and groups, distribution of the languages in a country, official/national/regional languages per country. The database in MySOL format and includes several tables, and some of them can be downloaded in CSV format.
- Even if the last results in natural prosody are promising, Kali remains a speech synthesis software that works from the first generation text, in other words, it lacks fluidness.
- The last demo version was available online on 18/09/2013 and its number is 5.03. It is limited to forty minutes after Kali started running. The full version must be purchased. Only Synthé is free, it is a speech synthesis software (the ancestor of Kali) that dates back to... 1986.
- The "legal French of Normandie" was elaborated from very old legal texts from the 12th and 15th centuries.
- Even if the data aims for promoting the studying of everyday French, the most recent work is limited to Norman dialectology.
- The project Anamètre includes three parts we find irrelevant : a database of poetic and theatrical texts with side notes, dating from the 17th to the early 20th century ; automatic tools for metric analysis of verses and the strophic form of poems ; a database of metric lists.
- The project Unitex offers many linguistic ressources, but only for Finnish.
Many ambitious projects were developped by this laboratory, including a synonym dictionary which is today a reference for many well-informed users. The formulas principles of the dictionary remain valid, but the online version (http://www.crisco.unicaen.fr/cgi-bin/cherches.cgi) hasn’t been updated since 2008, perhaps because it never was interactive.