Presentation, concrete case: Wikitionnary
This is a collaborative dictionary created through the free template engine of Wikipedia, used for every wiki sites. It exists in various languages (its pages have been translated) and the site offers about 3,400 languages. Here is its presentation page in French : http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionnaire:Page_d%E2%80%99accueil.
- More than one million French words are listed.
- Its has a version for smartphones and tablets.
- The content has a licence « creative common » : CC BY SA.
- This is a collaborative tool open to anyone’s participation, whose data can be approximate or incomplete.
- The wiki templates are a programmation language of its own and searching can be challenging if one doesn’t understand how to use each word’s address. For a page of explanation of the word « chaton » (kitten) in French, here is the address : http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/chaton. Here is the same page in Spanish : http://es.wiktionary.org/wiki/chaton.
- Nothing can be downloaded.
This tool is of a great quality but doesn’t offer any data to download, so it can only be used online. It enables, for a good amount of words, to find a translation in other languages. It is very useful for people who don’t possess any « professional » dictionaries.